Emily's art to be auctioned for charity

Freud, Hockney, Hirst and so on

Emily's art to be auctioned for charity

Postby rekha2010 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:29 am

Battling leukaemia, a 13-month-old girl with Down syndrome has still managed to paint to help children in need.

Emily Selwood has created two paintings that are being auctioned on Trade Me by her parents, Anna, 30, and Brendan, 35.

One of the paintings will benefit Ronald McDonald House in Christchurch.

The Dunedin family has already spent four months in Christchurch, with Emily spending most of that time being treated in hospital.

Money raised from the first painting auction would go towards a trust for Emily's education and to help cover the family's living costs.

Brendan Selwood has been spending one week working in Dunedin, and the next in Christchurch with his family.

"It's tiring. It's a long drive, but I'm getting there still," he said.

The auction had reached $1500, and was due to close last night.

The second auction would finish next Thursday, with the proceeds going to Ronald McDonald House.

"Without this place we'd have been pretty buggered. I don't know what we would have done without it," Brendan Selwood said.

Anna Selwood said Emily loved to paint, but had not been able to do much while undergoing treatment.

She was expected to continue chemotherapy treatment until March or April.

During her 13 months, Emily had endured four operations.

On Tuesday, an infected tube in her chest was replaced. The tube was used to insert chemotherapy drugs.

In October, Emily had an operation to fix a narrowing in her bowel that prevented food being digested.

"It had been there since birth, but they only found it through an X-ray when she was here. That set her back a little bit with the chemo," Anna Selwood said.

However, Emily was "coping quite well", she said.

"There's been a couple of times where she's got quite sick and it can be really, really scary, but most of the time she's been really good."

The family planned to spend Christmas Day together at Ronald McDonald House, before Brendan had to go back to Dunedin for work.
rekha2010

Return to Artists making news from all parts of the world