Capturing moods

M.F Hussain, Anjolie Ela Menon and so on

Capturing moods

Postby rekha2010 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:30 am

‘Expressions’, the exhibition by amateur painters Anand Jog and Medha Khasgiwale, is a representation of their inner emotions

The great Leonardo da Vinci said, “Painting is poetry seen rather than felt.” A painting is the outward expression of one’s inner feelings, which is why the upcoming exhibition by amateur artists Anand Jog and Medha Khasgiwale has been aptly named ‘Expressions’. Though neither possess any formal degree in the fine arts, both have a zeal which more than makes up for it.

Jog, who is otherwise a successful builder, says that he was inspired to pick up the brush when he saw Mario Miranda’s works. “When I saw Miranda’s paintings, I felt that I too could manipulate the canvas to express myself as there was something appealing in them. I started my work in 2004, and first exhibited my works in 2006,” he recalls. But Jog doesn’t stick to any one particular medium. “Every exhibit of mine has showcased my works in a different medium. For example, ‘Expressions’ will show my works in acrylics,” he says.

On the other hand, Khasgiwale, a successful actor, started painting after being encouraged by another artist. “I used to help Vivek Khatavkar paint Ganpathi idols for Ganesh Chaturthi, and he saw my talent and pushed me to start painting. He told me that art should not be locked up but should be released,” she says.

Learning the tricks of the trade from artists like Milind Mullick, Jog and Khasgiwale will be showcasing 50 paintings at the exhibition. About Mullick, both have nothing but praises. Khasgiwale says, “He has been both a teacher and a friend. I am very honoured that he decided to take me under his wing.” Jog, too is very grateful to the water-colour master.

Both artists however, are from different schools of art. Jog, who calls himself an ‘item-based painter’, says, “I like to paint the shapes and colours in nature. Photography is a hobby of mine, and I carry my camera everywhere, clicking first and asking later. Well, I try to do the same thing with my painting.” He also has a lot of black and white paintings. He explains, “Using just black and white gives the painting a certain tonal value, a value that is lost in colour, rather like black and white photos.” He also dabbles in a lot of abstract painting.

Khasgiwale on the other hand is more of a portrait painter. She says, “A lot of people prefer abstract, modern art, but I don’t like it. I prefer to paint portraits, where the expressions are left bare for everyone to see. I like to paint the expressions, the emotions of my subject. Every painting of mine represents some mood, be it happiness, contentment, anything.” However, she does concede that abstract painting too deals with expressions.
rekha2010

Return to Living Indian artists