A Painter and Lithographer- Sakti Burman

M.F Hussain, Anjolie Ela Menon and so on

A Painter and Lithographer- Sakti Burman

Postby root » Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 am

Sakti Burman is a contemporary Indian artist of Indian parentage living in France. Sakti Burman was born in Kolkata in 1935. He studied art in Government College of Arts and Crafts in Kolkata (1956). From the mid-50s, he has been living in Paris while maintaining strong ties with India, where he regularly exhibits his work. His extended family includes several eminent artists. His daughter, Maya Burman also lives and works in France; his niece, Jayasri Burman was inspired by him and is a notable artist in her own right.
Sakti Burman depicts his figures in hues that seem once vivid, he immortalizes his subjects. He transports his viewers into a dreamlike world. Perspective and composition evoke medieval icons. Burman also uses a marbling effect, achieved by blending oils with acrylics, and applies the paint in a pointillist fashion. He is a fine lithographer who can achieve an incredible range of tonal & textural variations. He has illustrated several books such a collection of Mallarme’s poems. His images are steeped in romanticism and fantasy. With their soothing colors and rich textures these works combine the formal and stylistic values of Renaissance and Baroque art with native Indian myths and folklore. Europe and India are fused in his imagination. Exotic birds and blooms sprout from unlikely places. Sensuously painted women loll about in a mythical or oneiric landscape. The surface is usually textured like aging frescos.
While painting, drawing and sketching, Burman regularly visited galleries and museums there to understand art history and the aesthetic drives of the modernism of Europe that had overhauled the concept of art. "I couldn't forget my Indian roots and at the same time I was fascinated by Matisse and Bonnard, especially their interiors. I also picked up a little from Italian renaissance masters such as Masaccio, Giotto and Piero Della Francesca - their murals and frescos gave me an idea," says Burman.
His frequent visits to India resulted in his eyes opening to India's glory: "I was reborn as an artist. I returned to Paris and did nothing but paint." Soon his art took a new turn as he forged the styles that he had gathered from the two worlds. "All my excited enjoyment of art in India and in the West that lay in the unconscious, all the myths, fairy tales, my love for music and Tagore's songs and Baudelaire's poetry - all went into the making of my paintings, guided heavily by spirituality," says Burman.
Burman has participated in several group shows, including 'Faces of Indian Art' organized by Art Alive at the Visual Art Gallery, New Delhi; ‘Understanding Oneness in Diversity’ at Kitab Mahal, Mumbai; ‘An Evening in Paris …Rome…London’ at Gallery Sanskriti, Kolkata; and 'Resonance' organized by Art Musings at Museum Gallery, Mumbai, all in 2007. Burman was awarded the Medaille d’Argent au Salon de Montmorency and the Prix des Etrangers, Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris in 1956.
root
Site Admin

Return to Living Indian artists